Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This position provides customer service through contact and responses to county customers and citizens. As the direct point of contact for customers, the Library Assistant resolves routine questions or problems and refers more complex issues. In the team environment all employees participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Assists users in locating, selecting, and using resources.
- Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required.
- Sorts and shelves materials, and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists in operation and basic troubleshooting of automated materials check-in, emptying and swapping materials bins, and routine maintenance.
- Promotes the materials collection through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
Schedule will be 20 hours/week, with a schedule made up of a combination of shifts below. Typically, employees are expected to work 1-2 later shifts (9:30 a.m. - 6 :00 p.m. and/or 11:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.) and approximately one Saturday every 4 weeks (with 1 weekday shift off), varying depending on library needs.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., or 11:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., or 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Currently closed on Sundays, although in the future you will be asked to join a rotation of Sundays where you may work one Sunday every 7 to 8 weeks depending upon the pool of employees at our libraries.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in administrative or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $15.15/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $17/hour, for candidates with library experience.
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.