The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Primary responsibility for this position is to process Interlibrary Loan & Course Reserves requests. Additional primary responsibilities include supervision of the circulation desk which may include opening or closing the library as well as overall building responsibility. Duties may include supervising students to ensure the physical processing of ILL/Reserve requests. Desk supervision will include providing service at the circulation desk, including performing general circulation tasks (checking materials in and out, creating library accounts, etc.), and providing assistance to patrons with library materials and equipment use, answering ready-reference and directional questions, and helping to direct student workers. Additional responsibilities include enforcing entrance policies, assisting patrons with account issues, and collecting the requested books from the stacks (“paging”). Responsible for maintaining a scholarly atmosphere within the library building during desk supervision hours.
This regular, full-time position may work from Monday through Friday, between 7am to 6pm. All staff maybe required to change their shifts as needed by the department. During shortened and summer hours, schedule varies from the Fall/Spring.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (include percentages of time)
- Coordinate and set priorities for Lending or Borrowing operations when needed
- Maintain awareness of Interlibrary Loan copyright compliance
- Assist with billing of invoices for services provided
- Process regular and rush Lending/Borrowing requests according to detailed instructions and using software such as: ILLiad, ALMA, and MS Office. This involves searching OCLC WorldCat and IBIS using specialized search techniques and evaluating information to determine further actions to be taken
- Know and apply policies and procedures to facilitate electronic delivery of documents to University of Miami Patrons and other Universities and Libraries. This involves the use of specialized scanner technology (BscanILL, ScannX, ILLiad)
- Process electronic delivery requests using RapidILL, Article Exchange, Odyssey, Library databases, Google, ILLiad software, and MS Office. Digitize materials going on e-reserves, adhering to copyright laws
- Coordinate the pickup and drop-off of material from the Architecture, Music, Medical and Marine Libraries
- Retrieve materials from stacks, prepare materials for Document Delivery and oversees delivery of ILL materials to other libraries (via mail, courier, International shipping, Email, Rapid, and fax)
- Receive and process materials from Lending Libraries and prepare materials for delivery to library patrons
- Establish and apply procedures for timely processing of overdue items, conditional pending items, renewals, resends, and problem requests for ILL; this involves using specialized search techniques and judgment to select, interpret, and process records for further actions
- Coordinating shipping for all returning items to Lending Libraries
- Process copyright clearance for all Borrowing Requests
- Create and update patron records in ILLiad. Verify patron information in Campus Directory and ALMA
- Order items through Borrowing that could not be found during the Paging Process for our Patrons
- Routinely checks and responds to the voice messages and Reserves or Lending Email
- Process Course Reserves in ALMA as needed (create courses, reading lists, scanning.)
- Maintain positive customer relations with faculty, students and staff, vendors, authors and publishers
- Inform University faculty of any procedural changes, copyright policies, and services that we provide
- Answer questions regarding Course Reserve procedures, policies, records and transactions
- Supervise circulation desk
- Know and apply Circulation policies and procedures and enforce entrance policies
- Monitor entrance/exit gate. Check patron ID’s, and issue guest passes/ temporary Cane IDs
- Process library materials by learning multiple aspects and functions of the ALMA ILS
- Provide customer service at the Circulation Desk. Ensure that the library entrance and the circulation desk are neat and equipped with the necessary supplies (umbrella bags, paper clips, stacks guides, passes, check staplers, hole-puncher, and paper cutter, etc.)
- Check in/out and renew Circulation, ILL and Reserve materials and assist patrons with account issues and finding library materials
- Answer questions regarding Circulation procedures and patron accounts, records and transactions
- Coordinate and set priorities for Paging, move lost books to missing and help maintain the Stacks
- Accept payment of library fines and assist patrons with disputed library encumbrances
- Instruct and assist patrons with library equipment (e.g. print stations, microfilm machines, AV, etc.)
- Assist with library opening and closing duties
Other duties as assigned (5%)
- Assist with special divisional (cross- unit Stacks, offsite storage, and ILL) and library-wide projects as assigned
- Participate in library committees and teams as needed
- Participate in training programs and workshops
- Assist with maintaining up to date procedures manuals for Interlibrary loan/Reserves operations
- Hire, evaluate, and train student workers
- Coordinate with Manager for schedule changes during times of 24/7
Percentages may vary dependent on service and operational needs of the Unit and the University of Miami Libraries.
- This position reports to the Interlibrary Loan/ Course Reserves Manager
- May receive direction from the Circulation Manager when serving at the Circulation Desk
- This individual assists in the supervision of student assistants on a daily basis
Level of Contacts
- Within the library, this person will have regular business contact with equipment technicians, works with all levels of library faculty and staff as well as student employees. This person will also have contact with patrons of the library as well as alumni and community users. Outside the library, this person will have contact with faculty and staff from other institutions when answering questions on phone or email for items being requested from Richter Library or when answering questions for Borrowing. In all contacts, the incumbent is expected to be professional and courteous.
Physical address where the job position is located.