Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
Join our amazing Library and Historical Resources Department at Sarasota County. We are looking for a candidate that would love to serve the public in all their library needs. Rather working independently or with a team, join our fun loving Library staff today!
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Assists customers regarding library services, resources, and programs for the assigned unit as well as the library system and technology.
- Provides directional and reference services to assist customers.
- Planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library, and county events.
- Promotes library resources to community groups through public speaking, programming, and displays.
- Participates in system-wide, agency and county teams and projects.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- May order supplies, receive and check-in periodicals and newspapers.
- Provides administrative support to the Library Manager.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
Operating hours of the library are:
Monday's from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Tuesday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays 8 am -5 pm.
Required to work 1-2 Saturdays a month and one evening shift a week from 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Currently closed on Sundays, although in the future you will be asked to join a rotation of Sundays.
**Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.*
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent education and experience in public contact customer service work and proficiency in computer related to public response. Note: One year of college may substitute for one year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $15.50/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $18.50/hour, for candidates with library experience.
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.