Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This position will substitute in Libraries, Info Central and Historical Resources to provide direct service to customers, responding in person, by phone and e-mail to routine questions or requests for assistance. The employee will support co-workers in daily operations; will remain informed of Libraries and Historical Resources initiatives and programs. In the team environment all employees participate in setting unit, library and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends and innovations in libraries
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists users in locating, selecting and using resources.
- Assists users in operation of library equipment and use of technology.
- Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Engages in conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures and plan of services.
- Assists library users in person, by phone or electronically, answering questions and / or redirecting questions to the appropriate person. Is aware of library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- May participate in planning, presentation and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facility in the setup of program rooms, materials and equipment for public, library and county events.
- Assists in materials checkout / check-in, retrieves and processes holds and missing items processes.
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fees and Unique Management collections. Attends annual cash management training.
- Assists in sorting and processing mail.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
Collection Development / Maintenance
- Sorts and shelves materials and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the materials collection through displays and other methods.
- Assists in the processing of materials for the library collection.
- Participates in cross training in all service sections.
- Participates in continuing professional development of self and others, to acquire relevant understanding skills.
- Works with library staff to develop a team-oriented workplace.
Work Hours: MUST be Flexible to work between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work location (other than original assignment) within the library system to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in public contact customer service work and proficiency in computer related to public response.
Job Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive, tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to handle challenging situations. Good listener who communicates well with others. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Technical knowledge of phone and computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use basic computers and software and standard business equipment.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $15.00/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $15.15/hour, for candidates with library experience.
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.