Average Part time 32 hours per week (full time may be offered if desired)
$12.57 per hour, plus possible benefits, holiday pay and PTO
Schedule: 4 days per week/ to include weekends
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including possible weekends
Must be able to pass criminal background, drug testing and MVR checks
Position is contract through reSOURCE Government working at Martin County Library
Safety and social distancing measures are followed
SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Unit Supervisor, the person in this position is responsible for library work involving support service and customer service to internal and external customers. Work may involve responsibility for information desk functions including the use of print and electronic resources, shelf maintenance, periodicals maintenance, and recording basic library statistics. Work may also involve the responsibility of technical work requiring specialized training in a functional area of the library, specifically technical services. The person in this position is entrusted with making routine library decisions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Note: The listed duties are illustrative only and are not intended to describe each and every function, which may be performed in the job class. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Responds to in person, mail, telephone, IM, email requests for information and research.
- Provides mobile reference services for our patrons and assist them with print and online resources
- Provides the full range of check out desk procedures using a collection management system.
- Maintains working knowledge of electronic and print resources.
- Assures accurate shelving of materials by shelf reading and re-shelving.
- Compiles a variety of statistics concerning library usage.
- Reconciles customer accounts.
- Instructs the public and library staff systemwide in the use of Library resources including the online catalog, databases and print resources.
- Creates topical book displays with the guidance of supervisor.
- Promotes and communicates library programs, computer classes, and services.
- Assists with library event preparation and implementation as directed.
- Maintains assigned area of the collection to ensure materials are organized and available for customers.
- May plan and conduct library tours, computer classes, programs and community outreach.
- Provides Readers’ Advisory services to library patrons.
- May catalog new titles by locating correct online Machine Readable Cataloging Record (MARC) through cataloging software.
- May assume responsibility for the library and staff on evenings and weekends in the absence of professional division head.
- May train and supervise clerical, paraprofessional, and subordinate professionals in specific tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Knowledge of basic library principles, methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Ability to work independently in a wide variety of situations.
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult resources.
- Knowledge of library reference materials and research techniques.
- Able to utilize computer technology and software applications.
- Ability to communicate clearly and to understand and follow written and oral instruction.
- Ability to work with patrons of all ages.
- Knowledge of legal resources.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to push loaded book carts, bend, and reach to shelve materials.
- Able to stand for lengthy periods of time when necessary.
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to a dynamic environment.
- Able to work a schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Associates in Arts degree preferred.
- Experience in library related work desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
Acceptable hearing (with or without correction)
Ability to stay on your feet for extended periods of time
Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, calculator, telephone, copier, and other related office equipment as necessary.
Ability to push loaded book carts, bend and reach to shelve materials.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily indoors.
Involves frequent interaction with people.
Location: Martin County Library Branch Locations
Work Schedule: 32 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $12.57 per hour
MUST be able to pass criminal background check and drug testing/screening. This position is considered 100% drug free work environment.
Industry: Library, bookstore, Barnes and noble, customer service, bookkeeping, attention to detail, reading, writing, tutor, education, teaching, assistant teaching, tutor, tutoring, creative writing, bank teller, administrative, customer service, help desk, book seller, editor, writer, volunteer work, elementary school, middle school, retail, cashier.
Education: Library Science Degree or similar school path
Physical address where the job position is located.