Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This position provides contact and responses to county customers and citizens, and all business centers and core services, resolves routine questions or problems and refers more complex issues. In the team environment employees will participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees will collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
- Manages selected projects for the library system with library manager approval.
- Acts as person in charge in the absence of the library manager.
- Handles employee relations issues.
- Participates in strategic planning for the library and for the library system.
- Maintains a current knowledge of County and Library policies and procedures and other county units.
- Maintains a current knowledge of the library facility and participates in communicating and tracking building maintenance and facilities issues.
- Maintains records, and vital information.
- Monitor library operations.
- Provides input and helps manage work unit budget.
- Prepares and presents activity reports and technical information.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates special projects, services, and programs.
- Attends annual cash management training and assists in all areas of business unit cash management as required.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Promote effective communication of information to all internal and external customers.
- Interprets policies and procedures.
- Provides support and staffing at all public desks, as needed.
- Develops solutions to escalated Customer Service issues.
- Participates in staff development, coaching, and performance management.
- Ensures training and development of assigned staff and may approve personnel requests.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution AND one (1) year of supervisory experience in a public library.
Job Competencies: Excellent written and verbal communication, knowledge of core archival services and programs, and demonstrated skills in project management. Ability to develop and implement goals and objectives and evaluate work of self and others. Knowledge of facilitation tools and understanding of the dynamics of teams. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, officials, contractors, volunteers, community organizations and the general public. Public media interaction, presentation and negotiation skills. Advanced knowledge of computers, software and the evolving role of technology in library and archival services. Commitment to adhere to County policies.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $53,497.60 - $69,576.00
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.