Job: ESL Instructor, Casual
Go back to All Jobs
- ESL Instructor, Casual
- Number position available:
- $23.98 hourly
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Under general supervision, performs the implementation and evaluation of English language learning; teaches the classes/programs, curriculum, and instructional methods of provided curriculum. Part-time casual employees are scheduled in blocks of time as needed to present ESL classes in-person and virtually.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Delivers instructional trainings in English language learning via in-person and virtual settings
- Perform analyses and evaluations of current activities; provide recommendations for enhancements and improvements to increase effectiveness.
- Supports staff/volunteers that administer English language learning activities.
- Creates publicity and marketing materials to promote English language learning.
- Promotes learning and educational activities designed to attract audience to library programs.
- Ensures that activities align with learning standards and are within the developmental scope of the target audiences.
- Supports the use of proper language learning software and related tools to support objectives of English Language programs.
- Stays current with new trends and recommends changes as appropriate.
- Collects data and prepares planning documents including goals and objectives for English Language Learning activities.
- Prepares, submits, and/or summarizes various routine and non-routine reports.
- Travels to various work locations as required.
- Participates and contributes content for meetings and initiatives related to English learning projects.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles and practices of ESL curricula presentation techniques.
- Principles and practices of English language learning for non-native speakers.
- Current trends in ESL education.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Library District policies and procedures.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals, in person and virtually.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing projects and work assignments for efficient results.
- Project management and performing multiple tasks/projects concurrently.
- Preparing clear and concise reports.
- Speaking publicly in front of large groups.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Use of Microsoft Office applications and learning management systems.
- Use of virtual learning and presentation platforms.
- Maintaining accurate records of work performed.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnics and cultural backgrounds.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives, and activities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted during the work.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Supervision - Incumbents at this level are given assignments and objectives that are governed by specifically outlined work methods and a sequence of steps, which are explained in general terms. The responsibility for achieving the work objectives, however, rests with a superior. Immediate supervision is not consistent, but checks are integrated into work processes and/or reviews are frequent enough to ensure compliance with instructions.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in an office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 20 pounds; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a Library setting.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in education, or a closely related field; AND two (2) years of teaching experience in English language learning programs; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Orange County Library System
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 101 E. Central Blvd.
- Institution Name :
- Orange County Library System
- 101 E. Central Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Jo Charles
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please visit our website at https://ocls.applicantstack.com/x/openings to apply.