Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This position provides public information and reference services in the Information Central department, a centralized system-wide telephone and electronic reference service. In the team environment employees will participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees will collaborate with co-workers to support team process.
- Ensures the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry from internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost courtesy and respect.
- Provides prompt, courteous customer service to patrons when answering reference, directional, and/or reader’s advisory questions.
- Determines and implements research strategies and utilizes print and electronic resources to answer patron reference questions.
- Responds to patron requests for library circulation transactions, including hold, renewals, etc.
- Explains and interprets library policies and procedures.
- Provides instruction and assistance in the use of library technology resources.
- Transfers calls to appropriate library service desks, other County agencies, etc.
- Provides information and referral to appropriate sources as applicable.
- Troubleshoots computer connection problems at a primary level.
- Provides assistance at service desks and other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to users.
- Provides assistance for Interlibrary Loan and Books by Mail.
- Develops and maintains a knowledge base of frequently asked questions.
- Gathers usage statistics as required.
- Assists with ILS database maintenance as requested.
- Participates in developing and implementing Info Central policies and procedures.
- Provides recommendations to assist in improving operational efficiency.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovation in libraries.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
Participates in cross training to work in other sections and aids in cross training staff in his/her section.
Work Hours: MUST be Flexible to work between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work location (other than original assignment) within the library system to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in public contact customer service work and proficiency in computer related to public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Major coursework in library science, English, communications or related field preferred.
Job Competencies: A clear, distinct speaking voice is required, along with knowledge of Windows, word processing, spreadsheets, and Internet searching. Creative problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, broad general knowledge and a strong customer service background are highly desirable. Accuracy, flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast paced, pressured environment, also strongly preferred. Must be able to work as part of a team. Ability to adapt to various and changing duties as required.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $12.37/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $15.15/hour, for candidates with library experience.
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.