The University of Miami Libraries seeks an innovative, collaborative librarian to serve in the role of Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian. Under the direction of the Head of the Metadata & Discovery Services, this position supports the discovery of and access to the University of Miami Libraries’ digital content through metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and national cataloging and metadata standards. The core mission of this position is to apply, steward, and preserve descriptive, administrative metadata for the Libraries’ digital collections and the University of Miami’s research assets. The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian works closely with colleagues in Distinctive Collections, Digital Initiatives, Web & Application Development, and Library Technology. The position serves as the Technical Administrator for the University of Miami Libraries’ Primo discovery interface used by all libraries on three campuses. The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian also helps to contribute to and explore collaborations and partnerships with university partners and external collaborators. The position will participate in or lead projects to enhance intellectual access to and discoverability of both digital and physical resources. The incumbent will contribute to discussions about copyright and intellectual property rights for cultural heritage materials. The Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian trains, supervises, and evaluates two staff members related to metadata initiatives and special projects.
More details on the job posting here: Join Our Team | University of Miami Libraries
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library and information science program or equivalent.
• Knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata principles, standards, schemas, and tools.
• Interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies.
• Aptitude for complex, analytical work with attention to detail, demonstrated problem-solving skills, and flexibility.
• Self-motivation, project management skills, and the ability to multi-task with various deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituents.
• Strong commitment to user-centered library service and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population.
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to meet the University of Miami Libraries’ criteria for advancement and promotion of library faculty, through professional development and service accomplishments.
• Demonstrated experience working with metadata in a library or similar setting.
• Demonstrated experience in contributing to an environment of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
• Prior successful supervisory experience, ability to motivate staff and set priorities, and effective organizational skills.
• Solid understanding of copyright and intellectual property rights for cultural heritage materials.
• Ex Libris Primo Administrator certificate, or the desire to complete this program.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2021 and continues until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted here (https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMFaculty/job/Coral-Gables-FL/Digital-Initiatives-Metadata-Librarian_R100053185) and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names of three references. Materials should be combined in one .pdf file and uploaded when prompted for one’s Resume/CV (5MB max).