This position is located in Orlando, FL at the Barry University School of Law Library.
The top priority of the Circulation Assistant is to provide prompt, knowledgeable, and efficient service to the Law Library's patrons as part of the Public Services team. The Assistant fills one of the primary front line customer service positions and is essential to the proper functioning of the Law Library. The normal hours of this position are Tuesday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. while school is in session. During Intersession, the Circulation Assistant will be required to work a Monday through Friday schedule during Library operating hours.
Assists patrons at the Circulation Desk, including:
- Enforces Library policies, including Library admittance policies
- Greets patrons as their first point of contact upon entering the library
- Checks Library materials in and out
- Answers directional and location reference questions;
- Advises patrons of circulation policies; provides requested reserve materials;
- Answers all other questions asked or directing patron to the proper person to provide answer
- Assists patrons in making study room reservations
- Assists patrons by delivering their Florida bar application materials via fax
- May be asked to be trained/certified as a Notary to assist with requests, if needed; and
Acts as the law Library's primary point of contact for responding to unforeseen and/or exigent circumstances on Saturdays.
- Assesses the situation
- If necessary, determines and contact the appropriate authority
Helps to maintain neat appearance of Library.
- Using Library of Congress call number system, shelves books left on tables and book carts.
- Using Library of Congress call number system, shelf reads/shifts collection as needed.
- Maintains neat appearance of the library, including study tables, carrels, and study rooms.
- Assists with shifting the stacks when space is needed
- Contacts campus facilities
Opens Law Library.
- Performs opening duties, including turning on lights and computer work stations, refilling copy machines, putting out newspapers, unlocking the front door, and other tasks.
Provides InterLibrary Loan (ILL) and document delivery services.
- Uses OCLC/Illiad to loan and borrow materials.
- Maintains ILL stats and DLLI records.
- Reports ILL records for ABA Annual Questionnaire or other surveys.
- Mails and receives materials.
Works with student assistants.
- At the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, assists with the supervision of student workers.
- At the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, assists with the training of student workers.
Acts as a technology point person within the Library.
- Instructs patrons in the use of the Library's printer/copies, PrintMe wireless printing service, computers and wifi
- Replaces paper and toner in copiers.
- Removes paper jams.
- Notifies repair service when more serious problems exist.
- Uses Helpdesk to inform Information Technology if computers are not working or of other technology or equipment issues.
- Contacts outside technology maintenance company when appropriate.
Statistics, data entry and filing.
- Tracks daytime Library patron and usage statistics
- at the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, compiles, collects, and reports department statistics.
This position primarily maintains a daytime/weekend working schedule, but the schedule is subject to change when needed. At times serves as the only full-time employee on campus. The position holder must be service oriented, with a thorough knowledge of the Law Library's circulation policies and the location of materials in the Library.