Job: STEM & Interdisciplinary Research Librarian at the University of Miami
Go back to All Jobs
- STEM & Interdisciplinary Research Librarian at the University of Miami
- Number position available:
- Pay Grade 50
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The University of Miami Libraries (UML) seeks an innovative, collaborative librarian for the position of STEM and Interdisciplinary Research Librarian. This position resides within the Richter Library Learning & Research Services unit of UML on the Coral Gables campus, and serves as liaison to the College of Engineering and selected departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, including Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics. The STEM and Interdisciplinary Research Librarian works collaboratively with data services librarians, liaison librarians, and campus partners to advance initiatives in support of scientific and interdisciplinary research at the University of Miami, such as the U-LINK program. The librarian works to advance the program of scientific learning and research articulated in the University’s Roadmap To Our New Century (e.g., STEM @ UM), and works closely with librarians who support scientific research in the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Head of Richter Library Learning & Research Services (a unit comprised of liaison librarians, information specialists, and peer research consultants), the STEM and Interdisciplinary Research Librarian is responsible for:
- Initiating and fostering congenial and collaborative working relationships with students, teaching faculty, and researchers in the assigned disciplinary areas to ensure ongoing dialogue about evolving learning and research needs.
- Offering consultative and instructional services for undergraduate students, graduate students, teaching faculty, and researchers to advance information and digital literacies and provide expert support throughout the entire research cycle.
- Engaging in resource selection in assigned disciplinary areas and contributing to UML’s collection development initiatives including support for Open Access (OA) and Open Educational Resources (OER).
- Advancing initiatives and services in support of interdisciplinary research and Science of Team Science, such as Research Sprints, in collaboration with liaison librarians, data services librarians, and campus partners.
- Serving as the lead library liaison for the U-LINK program to support interdisciplinary research and team science, facilitating meetings of U-LINK librarians, and sharing relevant information with key stakeholders.
- Collaborating with librarians with functional expertise in data services, GIS, and digital humanities to provide coordinated support for learning, teaching, and research.
- Developing and sharing knowledge of scholarly communications related to the assigned disciplinary areas.
- Maintaining familiarity with research trends in the STEM disciplines and advising UML leadership about the ways these trends may necessitate changes in library services.
- Maintaining familiarity with current and emerging approaches to scientific education and ways to incorporate information and digital literacies into such environments.
- Supervising, training, and mentoring student employees, when appropriate.
- Serving on University and Library committees, task forces, interest groups, and teams as appropriate.
- Networking, collaborating, and actively participating in local, regional, national, or international organizations.
- Representing and promoting the University of Miami Libraries in professional organizations, as appropriate.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent.
- Experience with library instruction/information literacy and information/reference service in an academic or research library setting.
- Educational background and/or experience providing library services in STEM.
- Demonstrated understanding of current and emerging trends in STEM research, publishing or education.
- Knowledge of electronic resources and information technologies related to STEM.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and promote strong relationships with a diverse community of faculty, students, and colleagues.
- Experience supporting and/or participating on interdisciplinary research teams.
- Familiarity with the emerging field of Science of Team Science.
- Proven commitment to promoting underrepresented voices in STEM disciplines and an ability to foster an inclusive and diverse workforce.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Otto G Richter Library
- Job Location:
- Southeast Florida
- University of Miami Richter Library
- Address 2:
- 1300 Memorial Drive
- Coral Gables
- Institution Name :
- University of Miami
- Richter Library
- Address 2:
- 1300 Memorial Drive
- Coral Gables
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Lisa Baker
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- (305) 284-2092
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online via our job posting: https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMFaculty/job/Coral-Gables-FL/Librarian-Asst-Professor_R100052420 New graduates are encouraged to apply!