Job: Instruction and Outreach Librarian/Assistant Professor Tenure-Track position to start in August 2022
Go back to All Jobs
- Instruction and Outreach Librarian/Assistant Professor Tenure-Track position to start in August 2022
- Number position available:
- The salary is competitive for a baccalaureate institution and negotiated upon offer.
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Eckerd College Library seeks an energetic, self-directed, forward thinking librarian for the Instruction and Outreach Librarian tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Instruction and Outreach Librarian will assume multiple leadership responsibilities in the areas of information literacy program development, library instruction, outreach, reference services, and learning assessment. This librarian serves as liaison to the Natural Sciences Collegium.
- The Instruction and Outreach Librarian is responsible for all aspects of Eckerd College’s information literacy program, developing an inclusive instruction program that supports student success.
- Providing leadership and vision, the Instruction and Outreach Librarian works collaboratively with the other faculty librarians to encourage, develop, and facilitate integration of information literacy initiatives within both the general education program and the majors.
- Develops new opportunities for library instruction by working collegially with faculty in all disciplines.
- Acts as the liaison to the first year experience, and leads the continuation of the library’s orientation and Personal Librarian programs for first year and transfer students.
- Responsible for collecting and analyzing data, assessing student learning outcomes, and evaluating the effectiveness of the information literacy program.
- As the library liaison to the Natural Sciences Collegium, this position provides library instruction for the science disciplines and collaborates with faculty regarding resource and service needs.
- Create and maintain online research guides in support of corresponding learning outcomes.
- Provide reference and research assistance (10-12 hours each week) in person, by phone, email, zoom, and proactive chat.
- Oversees the scheduling of the reference desk for all librarians and the training, mentoring, and supervising of part time reference librarians. Ability to work well with a diverse team of library faculty and staff is essential.
- Remain current regarding issues and trends related to access services in college libraries by attending conferences and online training and following listservs and professional journals.
- Participates in the design and implementation of library initiatives.
Faculty and Community:
- Participate in the faculty governance structure by serving on college committees.
- Teach in the general education program on a rotational basis as needed and as approved by the Director of Library Services.
- Maintain currency, nourish professional growth, and contribute to advancing the image of the college by actively participating in professional library organizations, publishing endeavors, and/or other library related research activities.
- Encourage and promote cooperation among area libraries by developing good working relationships with other local librarians. Eckerd College, the only independent national liberal arts college in Florida, has a tradition of innovative education and teaching/mentoring excellence. Submit a letter of application, curriculum vita, and contact information for three references via https://eckerd.hirecentric.com/jobs/. Applications for this position will be accepted until January 14, 2022. Inquiries may be sent to Lisa N. Johnston, Director of Library Services, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.
Employment will require a successful background check.
Eckerd College requires all employees to have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to set priorities and to adapt to a rapidly changing learning environment.
Strong technological skills, including proficiency in Google Apps for Education, Microsoft Office Suite, and citation tools, i.e. Endnote.
Work schedule will include reference rotations.
Ability to work effectively in a team and independently.
Education and Experience:
- MLS/MLIS/MIS degree from an ALA accredited program is required.
- A minimum of one year of professional experience that includes providing instruction in an academic library is required.
- Experience with and strong commitment to reference service and instruction in an academic library.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a scientific discipline is preferred.
- Experience with assessment of library instruction is preferred.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Armacost Library, Eckerd College
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 4200 54th Ave. S
- St. Petersburg
- Institution Name :
- Eckerd College
- 4200 54th Ave. S
- St. Petersburg
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Lisa Johnston
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Applications will be accepted via the Eckerd College HireCentric page link ONLY.
Job will begin in August 2022.