Job: Associate Director, Archives and Special Collections
Go back to All Jobs
- Associate Director, Archives and Special Collections
- Number position available:
- 45,024.00 -72,038.00
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library at Barry University seeks an innovative, proactive, flexible, and collaborative candidate to apply for its position as Associate Director of Archives and Special Collections.
This position provides expertise and leadership in management of the University's repository and digital scholarship support services; promotes and advances the repository and digital scholarship services; consults on digital scholarship projects; and, instructs students and faculty on digital scholarship tools.
We seek a collegial and experienced leader whose enthusiasm for research will position the library to develop key relationships; advocate for the role of digital curation in support of campus-wide research; and whose leadership style encourages and supports organizational exploration, sustainable learning culture, creative approaches to empowering and mentoring staff, leading projects, solving problems, and developing user-centric programs, services or collections.
Leadership & Supervision:
- At least three years of leadership, supervisory and budgetary experience within an academic library.
- Proven record of accomplishments of providing leadership to create, promote, and execute a clear vision toward implementing progressive initiatives, strategic priorities, projects and transformational change.
Digital Curation, Conversion, and Publishing:
- Working experience with preservation practices, operations, and activities employed across diverse collections including knowledge of archival standards, digital preservation issues, strategies, and standards.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and setting priorities through ongoing communication, collaboration, and strategic planning with collections’ stakeholders and library leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in selecting collections for digitization including narrative descriptions and technical metadata for digital objects.
- Experience in managing, overseeing, and coordinating in-house digitization of archival materials and collections, including image capture, scanning, and digital conversion of audiovisual media, following accepted preservation and access guidelines, standards, policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Experience working with faculty as content creators, editors, and publishers to solicit, organize, upload, maintain, and promote scholarly content within digital publishing platform(s).
- Demonstrated skill using and calibrating communication styles – oral, written, and interpersonal—to work effectively and collaboratively with peers and partners in a team-based setting where consultation, flexibility, collaboration, and cooperation are essential.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex concepts.
Outreach, Scholarship & Service:
- Evidence of continuing achievement in professional activities.
- Evidence supporting scholarship and professional accomplishments of team members.
- Evidence of current awareness of trends, developments, and best practices in archives and library science, with particular emphasis on strategic dissemination, donor relations, policies, information technology, reference/instructional service, and collection management and development.
- Evidence of collaboration with Library Administration, contribute to fund raising, friend raising, and community outreach endeavors to secure supplemental funding for projects or programs.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, preparing, and presenting exhibitions for the University Archives.
- A Master's degree in Library Science/Archival Studies is required.
- 3-5 years of work related experience is required.
- Working knowledge of written and spoken Spanish.
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures and ability to use in varied situations.
- Practical experience with digital archival standards; digital preservation tools; digital rights management tools; copyright and open access self-archiving tools; and, archives administration tools for description and arrangement of processed materials.
- Decisions have major implications on the management and operations of an area within a department. Position may contribute to important strategy, operational and business decisions that affect the department.
- Problems are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation. Problems are solved using knowledge and skills, and general precedents and practices.
Submit IN A SINGLE PDF:
- A current resume or CV.
- A cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position.
- Submit three references including their contact information (telephone number and email address).
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Barry University
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 11300 NE 2nd Avenue
- Miami Shores
- Institution Name :
- Barry University
- 11300 NE 2nd Avenue
- Miami Shores
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Human Resources
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply