The Florida International University Hubert Library at the Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC) seeks an energetic, student-centered librarian for the position of Reference Librarian.
Reporting to the Head of Information & Research Services at the Hubert Library, the position is responsible for information and instructional services (in-person and remote), user support, outreach, and collection development for Journalism + Media and Arts & Sciences at BBC. All librarians are expected to participate in professional development, research, and service activities to meet the Libraries’ and University’s requirements for promotion.
• Reference, Instruction, & Collection Development
Participates in public service delivery to faculty and students, and provides basic reference services (email, phone, chat, etc.). Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Serves as liaison to the Department of Journalism + Media at BBC.
Provides library instruction and curriculum support.
Takes part in collection development in the areas of Journalism and Media, Graphic Novels, and Arts & Sciences.
• Scholarship, Service, & Professional Development
Participates in scholarship, faculty governance, and service as a library faculty member
Works cooperatively on departmental and library-wide initiatives as appropriate to position functions
Other responsibilities include: maintaining current awareness of emerging instructional skills/techniques and their applications to library instruction; actively participating in local, national, and international meetings and organizations
• ALA-accredited MLIS degree
• Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library services and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population
• Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation, and organization skills, including the ability to effectively impart knowledge and skills
• 1-2 years working experience as an academic reference librarian
• Ability to work flexibly, creatively, and collaboratively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population; Strong organizational and time management skills with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and in teams within the library and university communities
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit http://library.fiu.edu.
About the university: Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 525114 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu/ and attach cover letter and curriculum vitae. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three references who will be contacted as determined by the search committee. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.