The Richter Library has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Library Supervisor to work in the Coral Gables Campus.
Primary responsibilities are supervision of the Access Services desk and the overall management of the general collections stacks (includes monographic, periodical, government document, reference, microforms and similar collections). The Access and Stacks Supervisor will assist with the operations of the Access Desk in support of the Learning Commons and Library Operations. Primary responsibility will include the development of the student workers’ schedule for the desk and stacks areas and assist with the scheduling of staff assignments with the Circulation Manager, supervising circulation services including all aspects of materials processing, patron records maintenance, and accounts processing including collection and generation statistical reports related to accounts. General duties may include, but are not limited to: hiring and supervision of student workers, monitoring workflow, establishing staff and student work schedules and assignments, training, and evaluating students, and recommending and implementing policies and procedures and assisting in the provision of service at the service desks as necessary. The supervisor will have responsibility for the day-to-day supervision of non-exempt staff and student assistants in Collections Maintenance areas of the Otto G. Richter Library and will coordinate projects or daily operations with the Collections Maintenance Supervisor of the Miami Lakes Storage.
This regular, full-time position may be required to work during any of the library operations hours which are Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 2:00 am, Friday 7:30 am to 10:00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, Sunday 10:00 am to 2:00 am and 24/7 during End of Semester Exam periods. During shortened and summer hours, schedule varies. This position is slated to work Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm but subject to change as needed by the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (include percentages of time)
General supervision of staff and public services (50%)
- Supervision of services & staff at the Access Desk.
- Coordination of referrals and support to the Learning Commons Partner Services.
- Serves as a contact for staff and patron problem resolution.
- Monitors workflow and establishes priorities as needed.
- Coordinates staffing assignments with the Circulation Manager.
- Issues and updates library patron permits/passes and Temporary CaneIDs.
- Implements, interprets, and enforces departmental, library, and university policies and procedures as directed by supervisor and library administrators.
- Negotiates situations involving fines, encumbrances, claims returned, or other problems that patrons have.
- Authorized to reduce or waive library fines up to limits established by library and university policy.
- Instructs and assists patrons with circulation, photocopy, microforms and AV systems and equipment.
- Ensures that all opening and closing procedures are properly completed.
- Acts as backup for other supervisors.
- Monitors library entrance and public areas to ensure that patrons follow library policies.
- Reports facilities complaints to Facilities or other appropriate departments. Reports security problems to Public Safety.
Supervision and coordination of the general maintenance of the collections of the Otto G. Richter Library (40%)
- Hires, trains, supervises, evaluates and terminates approximately 35 student assistants as necessary.
- Supervises Circulation & Collections Maintenance staff and casual/temporary workers as needed.
- Coordinates collection projects with the Collections Maintenance Supervisor at Miami Lakes.
- Approves time sheets for staff and student assistants.
- Schedules, coordinates and monitors the maintenance of the collections and stack areas.
- Works with appropriate library administrators to develop collections maintenance policies and procedures.
- Identifies and tracks problems and patterns for resolution and preventive maintenance.
- Gathers data and prepare proposals, reports of space planning and utilization as needed and develops effective shelving programs.
- Identifies and sends damaged materials to Physical Processing for repair in consultation with Collection Development.
- Ensures that shelves, signs, and furniture are updated and maintained.
- Keeps usage statistics.
- Assists patrons in locating materials around the building.
- Prepares and distribute appropriate signage and floor plans.
- Prepares Collections Maintenance budget in coordination with the Circulation Manager.
- Develops and maintain the Collections Maintenance web pages.
- Monitors ongoing collection projects and track deadlines. Advises library administration of delays or problems.
Other duties as assigned (10%)
- Assist with Access Services and other library activities as assigned.
- Participate in library committees and teams as needed.
Communications, Relationships, and Service (No percentage required. Responsibility should be incorporated in total performance)
- Maintains helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all library customers.
- Establishes effective and supportive interdepartmental relationships to increase unit effectiveness and disseminate information.
- Communicates frequently and effectively with all university staff, faculty, and administrators in a timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other necessary information.
- Attends departmental meetings and writes reports as required.
- Participates in library committees and task forces as needed.
Percentages may vary dependent on service and operational needs of the Unit and Richter Library.
This position reports to the Circulation Manager.
This individual supervises non-exempt staff members and also student assistants.
The individual works with all levels of University and Library staff including faculty, administrators, staff, and students as well as alumni and community users. Within the library, this individual works with all levels of library faculty and staff as well as student employees. In all contacts, the incumbent is expected to be professional and courteous.
Physical address where the job position is located.