Under general supervision, the Lead Web Developer performs a variety of tasks to build and maintain features and functionality related to the architecture, infrastructure, security, and development of the library’s websites.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Take lead role in the development projects for the library sites, both large and small, throughout the various phases of the project life cycle.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code that works across multiple browsers and devices by using best practices.
- Design content types, taxonomies, and other data structures based on wireframes and project requirements.
- Develop page types, taxonomy language, menu systems, and other CMS data structures.
- Build complete features across all layers (database, services, and Web UI).
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases.
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling OCLS’s sites.
- Participate in meetings with customers to determine requirements for new features and functionality in sites, digital products, or modifications to existing sites.
- Assess new initiatives to determine the work effort and estimate the necessary time-to-completion.
- Use organization, communication, and troubleshooting skills to prioritize multiple assignments and meet project deadlines.
- Work with UX Designer to ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs, product requirements, and technical specifications.
- Conduct quality assurance and tests of code quality.
- Verify that the websites comply with current operational procedures and policies, including security, privacy, and accessibility.
- Contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Department's service to its customers by offering suggestions, recommendations, and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Create and maintain software documentation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in computer science or a closely related field; AND four (4) years of professional experience in web development and content management systems; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience as determined by Human Resources.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Valid Florida Driver’s License.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Expert in all areas of WordPress.
- Strong familiarity with Ubuntu Linux, Apache2, and MySQL.
- Familiarity and experience with Drupal 7, 8, 9.
- Familiarity with Joomla.
- Familiarity with Command-Line Interfaces (i.e. Bash, Drush).
- Solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices.
- Understanding of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and Google Tag Manager.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Adobe CC Suite.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Configure and customize WordPress sites.
- Build custom CMS themes and modules.
- Experience with MySQL and Apache.
- Experience and good understanding of web frameworks, back-end development, APIs and database technologies.
- Experience with common CMS deployment methodologies (development > staging > production).
- Experience writing database queries and logic.
- Experience using Git for version control; code management with BitBucket or similar service.
- Proficient in responsive web design and cross-browser compatibility best practices.
- Practical experience working in LAMP stack.
- Strong organizational, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team, and to meet deadlines.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Supervision - Incumbents at this level are given assignments and objectives which are explained in general terms. The responsibility for achieving the work objectives rests with the employee. Immediate supervision is not consistent, but checks are integrated into work processes to ensure objectives are met.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in an office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in an office setting.
Physical address where the job position is located.