Job: Principal Librarian
Go back to All Jobs
- Principal Librarian
- Number position available:
- $55,813.94 - $108,921.80
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Lee County Library System is offering enthusiastic and community-minded candidates who are committed to public library service the opportunity to lead the team at the South County Regional Library as Branch Manager.
As Principal Librarian you will plan and administer a balanced program of public library services and will supervise and evaluate staff, assuring proper workflow and staff scheduling, making recommendations about budgetary needs, preparing reports and presentations as needed, and managing the daily operation and upkeep of a fast paced regional library facility and surrounding grounds. This position is directly responsible for supervising a staff of twenty employees in a rapidly growing community.
South County Regional Library is located in a fast growing area of Lee County that serves a diverse population. The library moved into its current facility in 1996 and is scheduled for an upgrade and redesign.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Relate positively to a diverse population, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and assist the public directly as an active member of the public service team at the branch.
- Use considerable independent judgment and problem-solving skills along with established policies and procedures to ensure a competent staff and consistent, high quality service to the public.
- Be responsible for the hiring, training, coaching, and evaluation of staff.
- Interact productively with staff from library administration, library processing, and other branches.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons.
- Understand, explain, and administer library policies and procedures to the staff and public.
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and public library trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers by sharing information, providing instruction and feedback, and working as a cohesive team.
- Work effectively with the Friends of the Library and other community groups.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association and two years of progressively responsible experience as a professional librarian in a public library system or a department or division of a main library.
- Prefer a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Prefer at least five years related library experience.
- Prefer at least four years supervisory experience.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required.
- This position requires a candidate who receives a conditional offer of employment to pass a pre-employment drug screening.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience and the ability to work independently is critical.
- Experience with capital projects is a plus.
- Knowledge of print and online sources and procedures used in reference and bibliographic research.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures and techniques of library science and library administration and management.
- Knowledge of a variety of reading interests of patrons of different ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to make recommendations to supervisors about budgetary needs, which may include Capital Improvement Plan and grant funds.
- Experience engaging community partners in the promotion of library programs and services is preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of professional and clerical personnel.
- Ability to become proficient with existing technology systems, software and computer equipment used by the library system, adapt to new technology developments and changes, and learn teaching skills to assist patrons with technology.
- Ability to share new resources with staff and the public.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Experience with Polaris ILS is a plus.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
- The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
- This position requires 80 hours bi-weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an Emergency as needed. During an Emergency, employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- South County Regional Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 21100 Three Oaks Parkway
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Public Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Aric Christensen
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- (239) 533-2245
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.