Barry University Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law seeks a Circulation Assistant. Barry Law is the only Dominican Law School in the United States and the first American Law School to be part of a university founded by religious women. The School of Law endeavors to offer a quality legal education in a caring environment with a religious dimension so that study and reflection lead to informed action, and a commitment to social justice leads to collaborative service.
The top priority of the Circulation Assistant is to provide prompt, knowledgeable, and efficient service to the Law Library's patrons as part of the Public Services team. The Assistant fills one of the primary front-line customer service positions and is essential to the proper functioning of the Law Library.
The standard hours of this position are Sunday through Thursday, 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. while school is in session and from 3:00 p.m. to midnight during final exams. During Intersession, the Evening Circulation Assistant will be required to work a Monday through Friday schedule during library operating hours.
Closes Law Library:
- Performs shutdown duties, including shutting down equipment, clearing off tables, shelving carts, and other tasks
- Works with the security guards in closing Library and alerting them to any security issues.
Acts as the Law Library's primary point of contact for responding to unforeseen and/or exigent circumstances after 5:00 p.m.:
- Assesses the situation.
- If necessary, determines and contacts the appropriate authority.
Assists patrons at the Circulation Desk, including:
- Enforces Library policies, including Library admittance policies.
- Serves as Library's face-to-face point of contact with evening faculty.
- Advises patrons of circulation policies, providing requested reserve materials.
- Answers directional and location reference questions.
- Checks Library materials in and out.
- Answers all other questions or directs patron to the proper person or resource to provide answer.
- Could be asked to be trained/certified as a Notary to assist with evening requests, if needed.
- Assists patrons in making study room reservations.
- Assists patrons by sending faxes.
Acts as evening technology point person within the Library:
- Instructs patrons in the use of the Library's printer/copiers, PrintMe wireless printing service, computers and Wi-Fi.
- Replaces paper and toner in copiers.
- Removes paper jams.
- Notifies repair service when more serious problems exist.
- Uses Helpdesk to inform DoIT if computers are not working or of other technology or equipment issues.
- Contacts outside technology maintenance company when appropriate.
Helps to maintain the Library's order:
- Using Library of Congress call number system, shelves books left on tables and book carts.
- Using Library of Congress call number system, shelf reads/shifts collection, as needed.
- Maintains neat appearance of the library, including study tables, carrels, and study rooms.
- Assists with shifting the stacks when space is needed.
- Contacts campus facilities as needed.
Statistics, data entry and filing:
- Tracks evening Library patron and usage statistics.
- At the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, compiles, collects, and reports department statistics.
Works with student assistants:
- At the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, assists with the supervision of student workers.
- At the direction of the Access Services Librarian/Circulation Supervisor, assists with the training of student workers.
Acts as a backup for processing interlibrary loan requests as needed. Maintains familiarity with ILL processes by regularly processing incoming and outgoing requests.
Physical address where the job position is located.