Gwinnett County Public Library, located in the northeast metro Atlanta area, provides services and resources to one of the most populous and dynamically diverse areas of the South. We are looking for a Cataloging Librarian to assist with our materials and collection sourcing.
This position is responsible for performing advanced professional level librarian duties. Positions are responsible for system-wide cataloging and promotion of library materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements cataloging best practices, policies and procedures. Maintain cataloging documentation to reflect current standards and practices.
- Performs original (including complex) and copy cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access and use.
- Interprets and applies Library of Congress Subject headings, the Dewey Decimal System, Resource Description and Access (RDA), MARC, and alternative classification schema (BISAC) in cataloging and classifying library materials.
- Maintains current knowledge of cataloging standards and practices in libraries, including RDA, MARC, BIBFRAME, LCSH, LC Classification, alternative classification schema and stays abreast of new and forthcoming practices.
- Maintains, analyzes, and updates authority records in the database including local authority records via batch importing and assessment.
- Trains and assists staff in copy-cataloging procedures; prioritizing and assigning work.
- Executes reports and performs scheduled database maintenance to ensure accurate and detailed cataloging to facilitate ease of access to library materials.
- Plans and coordinates with other departments to implement system-wide changes such as integrated library system migrations, opening day collections, and Dewey-less shelving schema.
- Provides cataloging and bibliographic assistance to paraprofessional Library staff by responding to questions and concerns via ticket system, creates documentation to support new work processes or the launch of new services, and to support the training of new and existing staff.
- Provides internal and external customer service through both active and responsive classification of library materials. Provides collection analysis support to all levels of library staff through creation of reports using the ILS system and SQL reporting tools, and through in-person or virtual meetings with branch staff.
- Participates in outreach to educational, civic and community groups to promote library services; provides content to support related marketing activities. Serves on system-wide teams to support system goals.
● Educational principles;
● Library cataloging principles and procedures;
● Library operational principles and practices;
● Basic library administration principles;
● Customer service principles;
● Advanced budgeting principles;
● Library collection development;
● Library information services;
● Supervisory principles;
● Library reference principles and practices.
● Statistical principles;
● Basic database structure and functionality