Job: Reference & Instruction Librarian
Go back to All Jobs
- Reference & Instruction Librarian
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Key Position Information:
St. Petersburg College (SPC) is committed to supporting the academic excellence of students, providing opportunities for economic mobility, and engaging the community. The Learning Resources department is dedicated to providing outstanding instructional support and library services/resources to students and faculty in pursuit of academic excellence. Our commitment to the community is enhanced by collaborating with partnership libraries in providing excellent library services/resources and community programming.
Clearwater Learning Resources comprises dynamic instructional support and tutoring services, as well as community engagement in a joint-use facility: Clearwater East Community Library at St. Petersburg College. Candidates for this position must be committed to providing excellent service to students and the community. Instruction is a major component of this position, and candidates must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to engage faculty and students. Innovation in instruction and outreach, and experience with multi-media and virtual instruction are ideal. A passion for assisting people and an enthusiasm for the profession is required. Candidates for this position must be adaptable, self-motivated, and interested in achieving professional excellence.
Candidate must be available to work one evening per week and an occasional weekend.
Typical Essential Duties:
- Performs and oversees a wide range of library activities, which includes: assisting and training patrons, student workers, faculty, and staff in finding print and electronic resources; ascertaining and responding to patron’s needs; searching materials for patrons; communicating library policies and procedures; and/or performing related activities.
- Develops and maintains, monitors, and evaluates collections in assigned area of responsibility; recommends additions and removal of collection items; processes purchased and donated materials; orders supplies and catalogs materials; and performs related activities.
- Develops and facilitates instructional classes on utilizing the library, which includes: analyzing instructional needs; preparing materials and curriculum; developing supplemental materials; and, performing other related activities.
- Coordinates library operations which include implementing and recommending library policies and procedures.
- Promotes the library’s services; prepares postings in learning management system; assists with creating, planning, implementing, and marketing reference and instructional materials, services, and programs.
- May prioritize and assign work to lower level staff; monitor the performance of lower level staff; train staff on work methods and procedures; and participate on staff evaluations.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
This class is the fourth of six levels in the Library Services series. Incumbents perform professional librarian functions within a higher education setting. Responsibilities may include providing research and reference services for patrons; overseeing various library operations and staff including circulation, material inventory, cataloging, and acquisition; and recommending and implementing policies and procedures. Incumbents may oversee work of lower level library staff and student workers.
- Supervisory principles;
- Customer service principles;
- Library operations, principles, and practices;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Policy and procedure development practices;
- Automated library system software applications;
- Advisory and reference resources;
- Collection development principles;
- Cataloguing systems;
- Research methods;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Prioritizing and assigning work;
- Monitoring and evaluating employees;
- Providing customer service;
- Operating automated library systems;
- Processing incoming library materials;
- Cataloguing library items;
- Evaluating and developing library collections;
- Conducting research;
- Using a computer and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
- Positions in this class typically require: stooping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
- Incumbents may be subjected to dust, poor ventilation, inadequate lighting, workspace restrictions, and light travel.
Master's degree in Library or Information Science.
Two (2) years of professional experience as a Librarian. Demonstrated success in providing library instruction, reference, and access services in higher education.
* An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may be acceptable in lieu of those requirements listed above.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Clearwater East Community Library at St. Petersburg College
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 2465 Drew Street
- Institution Name :
- St. Petersburg College
- P.O. Box 13489
- St. Petersburg
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Vivian Winters
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON-LINE AT: https://www.spcollege.edu/hrapp/application/jobs.php