Website University of Central Florida
Join our Research and Information Services Department! To apply: https://ucf.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Associate-Librarian-or-Librarian-and-Department-Head–Research-and-Information-Services_R103375-1
Unleash Your Potential With Us
As a next-generation public research institution, we are an inclusive community of thinkers, doers, creators, innovators, healers, and leaders striving to shape the future and solve the world’s most challenging problems. No matter what your role is, when you join Knight Nation, you become an integral part of our mission to become a university for the future. You’ll be met with opportunities to connect and collaborate with uniquely talented faculty, staff, and students across 13 colleges and multiple campuses and regional locations. That means greater challenges to tackle, more meaningful opportunities to grow, and rewarding experiences that go beyond a paycheck.
The University of Central Florida (UCF) Libraries seeks an experienced and dynamic full-time, non-tenure track, 12-month department head for Research and Information Services to provide vision and leadership for the unit. This position plays a leading role in developing and implementing innovative solutions to research and information services and other library initiatives that support the scholarly, teaching, and learning goals of the university and its communities. Salary and rank will be determined commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position reports to the associate dean for Academic Engagement and manages 11 full-time faculty librarians, three full-time staff, and several adjunct librarians and student workers. The department staff includes liaison librarians assigned to academic programs and learning communities, research consultation and instruction services, patent and trademark services, government information, and engagement with key campus partners. The department head for Research and Information Services is expected to be collaborative, strategic, and innovative. Professional service and scholarly contributions are expected.
- Oversee the units of Research and Information Services, the Patent and Trademark Resource Center, and Government Information, along with the subject librarian program.
- Works collaboratively with other departments across the UCF Libraries.
- Establishes department goals, objectives, and outcomes that are aligned with library and campus strategic priorities.
- Fosters a supportive culture that encourages teamwork.
- Inspires, enables, and empowers library faculty and staff to collaborate, create, and innovate.
- Represents the UCF Libraries through collaboration in a wide range of consortia and partnerships at the university, state, regional, and national levels.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The UCF Libraries includes the John C. Hitt Library, the Curriculum Materials Center, and the Special Collections and University Archives on the Orlando main campus; branch libraries on the Rosen College and Downtown campuses; and partnerships with DirectConnect state colleges. The Libraries offers a collection of more than 2.2 million volumes, is a partial depository for government documents and patents, and manages the institutional repository STARS. We are members of the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL), Center for Research Libraries (CRL), Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC), and HathiTrust. Since 2015, the Libraries, in collaboration with faculty and campus partners, has facilitated use of open and library-sourced course materials, in turn potentially saving students over $9 million. The UCF Libraries has 155 full-time staff comprised of 46 faculty librarians, 59 support and administrative staff, and 50+ student employees dedicated to serving UCF faculty, staff, students, and the greater Orlando community. For more information about the UCF Libraries see http://library.ucf.edu.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience in an academic or research library.
- At least five years post-MLS professional experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in academic libraries.
- Supervision of units and librarians responsible for instruction, research consultation, and outreach and engagement services.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization and institution.
- Evidence of professional service, and a record of publications and presentation at a national level.
Additional Application Materials Required:
UCF requires all applications and supporting documents be submitted electronically through the Human Resources employment opportunities website, https://www.ucf.edu/jobs/. In addition to the online application, candidates should upload a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, and a list with contact information for three (3) professional references.
The selected candidate will be required to submit official transcripts (and, as applicable, U.S. degree equivalency evaluations) documenting the conferral of their qualifying academic credentials.
NOTE: Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents later.
Questions regarding this search may be directed to: Rachel Mulvihill, Department Head of UCF Downtown Campus Library, at Rachel.email@example.com.
Special Instructions to the Applicants:
This is a twelve-month, non-tenure track faculty position.