Website Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library
Performs professional and supervisory library duties by managing a library agency or library function.
- Bilingual skills (speaking and writing proficiency in English and Spanish) are highly desirable.
- Multiple positions in the Library’s Public Services Division, Support Services Division, and Brand Innovation Section may be filled with this announcement.
- Customer Commitment – Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customers and provide the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity – Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence – Takes ownership for excellence through one’s personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork – Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Plans, organizes and provides assistance in the supervision and operation of a library agency or function.
Acts as custodian of all agency monies.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services. Instructs and assists customers in accessing library information.
- Manages the operations of an agency or function.
- Plans, promotes, and presents programming. Coordinates, markets and manages programming led by outside presenters. Participates in community engagement activities and community outreach.
Serves on or leads library committees and task forces as directed.
- Executes performance management duties to include but not limited to: training, coaching, documenting and evaluating performance of subordinate staff and administering the progressive discipline process.
- Represents the Library in relation to city, community and government agencies, and at local and state level.
Actively seeks and participates in professional development opportunities and stays abreast of emerging technology and trends in the Library Information Science Field.
- Liaison with the Friends of the Library organization and other community entities to support and promote the mission of the library.
- Maintains knowledge and practices adherence to library and county policies and procedures, rules and practices.
- Assumes agency in-charge responsibilities, as required.
- Knowledge of the essential of public library principles and processes, including the creation, communication, identification, selection, organization, storage, retrieval, evaluation and dissemination of information.
- Knowledge of the role of the public library and the services it provides to a diverse clientele in an environment of rapid technological change.
- Knowledge of Library, County and HR policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the foundation and application of information technology, creation and management.
Skill in the use of standard office equipment and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to apply the concepts of public library management, including effective decision making, problem solving, analysis and evaluation of professional issues, operational problems, policies and standards.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make effective decisions.
- Ability to assist patrons in the use of library materials in all formats.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and/or retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical and chronological systems.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, stand, bend, kneel, sit, stoop, crouch, balance and walk for extended periods of time. Sitting at computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle materials weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Inside work 95% of the time and outside work 5% of the time.
Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
In the event of an emergency or disaster, an employee may be required to respond promptly to duties and responsibilities as assigned by the employee’s department, the County’s Office of Emergency Management, or County Administration. Such assignments may be for before, during or after the emergency/disaster.
Additional Job Requirements
A department, depending on the nature of its mission and operations, may require that employees in all or certain positions in this job classification maintain the ability to pass the background checks required for the position. These background checks may include but are not limited to:
- Criminal History Background Check using Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS)
- Level 1 and Level 2 Background screening (Ch. 435 Florida Statutes)
Child Abuse, Abandonment and Neglect Record Check using the State Automated Child Welfare Information System (SACWIS)
- Sex Offender and Sexual Predator record check using the list maintained by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE)
- Possess the necessary job-related license(s) or certification(s) that may include possession of a Florida Driver License (Class E) or an applicable Commercial Driver License (CDL)
Employees in this classification that acquire the competencies and minimum qualifications for the next tier will be able to apply for promotional opportunities through a competitive selection process. Employees will not automatically be upgraded to the next tier. Reclassifying a position is based on business need and financial impact and is not based solely on the job competencies or qualifications of the incumbent.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- A Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association accredited college or university; AND
- Two years of experience as a Librarian, including supervisory experience; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
To apply, please visit the Hillsborough County Career Site