Website Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library
Performs inventory control of library material and provides assistance with setup for events, classes, and meetings. Sort and shelve books and other resource materials.
- Library Associates are part of the library’s Materials Handling Team, which works to provide library users with the things they want the most – books and materials. Job responsibilities are focused on making the library’s collection as accessible as possible and assisting with keeping exterior and interior library spaces neat and inviting.
- Bilingual skills (speaking and writing proficiency in English and Spanish) are highly desirable.
- Multiple positions in the Library’s Public Services Division, Support Services Division, and Brand Innovation Section may be filled with this announcement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Maintains inventory of library materials to include, sorting, alphabetizing, shifting, pulling/processing lists, moving books and other library materials, emptying book drops, packing/unpacking delivery and processing.
- Performs shelf maintenance to include shelving and shelf reading.
- Provides assistance with setup of adult and youth events, classes, and meetings.
- Performs routine office and library equipment maintenance, such as cleaning computer screens, replacing toner and paper in printers and photocopiers.
- Performs tasks related to cleaning, removing trash and debris from both interior and exterior of library.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of alphabetical, numerical, and chronological systems and classification typically used in libraries.
- Knowledge of cleaning supplies, products, and equipment.
- Ability to lift, carry, and move supplies, equipment, and furniture.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multi-task effectively with little supervision.
- Skill in computers, data entry and operation of library office equipment.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, stand, bend, kneel, sit, stoop, crouch, balance and walk for extended periods of time. Sitting at computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Inside work 80% of the time and outside work 20% of the time.
Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
In the event of an emergency or disaster, an employee may be required to respond promptly to duties and responsibilities as assigned by the employee’s department, the County’s Office of Emergency Management, or County Administration. Such assignments may be for before, during or after the emergency/disaster.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate; OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
To apply, please visit the Hillsborough County Career Site