Website Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library
Performs professional library duties by managing a regional library.
- Administrative Librarians lead and mentor branch staff and communicate the Library’s mission and strategic plan as part of the library’s Leadership Team. Job responsibilities are focused on personnel management by promoting a healthy work environment and onboarding new staff, and facilities management by making note of and delivering reports regarding the status of the branch. Candidates should have experience managing a library agency or function and supervising staff, including training and performance evaluation.
- The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree in Library Science and at least three years of professional Librarian experience in public libraries, including supervisory experience.
- Bilingual skills (speaking and writing proficiency in English and Spanish) are highly desirable.
- Multiple positions in the Library’s Public Services Division, Support Services Division, and Brand Innovation Section may be filled with this announcement.
- Customer Commitment – Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customers and provide the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity – Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence – Takes ownership for excellence through one’s personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork – Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Manages the operations of a regional library agency or function. Acts as custodian of all agency monies and inventory.
- Implements, instructs and interprets library policies and procedures for regional staff; collaborates as required with library management to develop library policies and procedures; participates in measures to improve the delivery of library services.
- Plans, implements and manages a comprehensive program of services to library customers.
- Serves on or leads library committees and task forces as directed.
- Executes performance management duties to include but not limited to: training, coaching, documenting and evaluating performance of subordinate staff and administering the progressive discipline process.
- Participates in talent acquisition for the organization.
- Establishes positive relationships and maintains active communication with other county and partnering agencies to ensure effective execution of joint projects, such as the Supervisor of Elections, Facilities, Hillsborough County Public Schools, and Friends of the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative.
- Knowledge of the essential of public library principles and processes, including the creation, communication, identification, selection, organization, storage, retrieval, evaluation and dissemination of information.
- Knowledge of the role of the public library and the services it provides to a diverse clientele in an environment of rapid technological change.
- Knowledge of Library, County and HR policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the foundation and application of information technology, creation and management.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment and Microsoft office.
- Ability to apply the concepts of public library management, including effective decision making, problem solving, analysis and evaluation of professional issues, operational problems, policies and standards.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make effective decisions without close supervision.
- Ability to assist patrons in the use of library materials in all formats.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and/or retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical and chronological systems.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, stand, bend, kneel, sit, stoop, crouch, balance and walk for extended periods of time.
- Sits at computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle materials weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Performs inside work 95% of the time and outside work 5% of the time.
Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
In the event of an emergency or disaster, an employee may be required to respond promptly to duties and responsibilities as assigned by the employee’s department, the County’s Office of Emergency Management, or County Administration. Such assignments may be for before, during or after the emergency/disaster.
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association accredited college or university; AND
- Three years as a supervisory Librarian; OR
- An equivalent combination of education (not less than a high school diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
To apply, please visit the Hillsborough County Career Site