Website State Library of Florida
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is professional work within the Division of Library and Information Services responsible for, including but not limited to, the following duties:
- Performs complex original and copy cataloging of library materials in all formats for the library’s collections using automated library systems.
- Downloads, catalogs, and maintains electronic versions of state documents in library catalog.
- Performs maintenance of bibliographic, serial, and authority records in library catalog for new and retrospective materials.
- Processes materials and does serial check-ins for library collections.
Performs other work related duties as required.
- Knowledge of rules and principles for organizing, cataloging, maintaining, and providing access to library materials.
- Skill in data entry, searching, and usage of computers.
- Ability to perform extended data entry.
- Ability to lift and process boxes of books that may weigh up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to bend and reach to shelve materials.
- Ability to climb and descend stairs.
- Ability to push loaded book trucks.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: A Level 2 criminal background check is a condition of employment. If selected for this position, you must provide your fingerprints. We will send your fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal background check.
We are committed to enhancing our workforce through the employment of Veterans, individuals with disabilities and seek qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds, abilities, skills, and talents to join our workforce.
Male applicants born on or after January 1, 1960, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: https://www.sss.gov
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Tallahassee
- Six years of direct library experience or a master’s degree.
- A minimum of one (1) year of library experience
- Master’s degree in library science, or related program, from an accredited program.
- At least one year of cataloging experience.
- At least one year of original cataloging experience.
- Knowledge of rules and procedures for bibliographic control.
- Knowledge of rules and principles for organizing, cataloging, maintaining and providing access to library materials.
- Experience working with state or federal documents.
- Strong technology skills including Microsoft Office products.
- Experience working with automated library systems.
Responses to qualifying questions must be clearly supported in your employment history.
Apply at PeopleFirst