Website Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach
The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach welcomes to our team a dynamic and enthusiastic Library Supervisor for our Youth Services department. The Youth Services Supervisor will have experience working with youth and families in a library environment and creating programming and services for youth both in the library and through outreach. Experience writing and implementing grants is preferred. As part of the library’s management team, the Youth Services Supervisor will work closely with the Youth Services Manager to provide leadership and vision for the department including developing and implementing creative approaches to services to children, teens, and families both in the library and in the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Which are not in any hierarchical order)
1. Supervises the activities of assigned staff. Writes and conducts performance evaluations.
2. Schedules employees assigns work and monitors its progress. Guides and develops employees in the accomplishment of duties.
3. Provides administrative and technical direction to Library staff.
4. Proposes and monitors staffing requirements and the hiring and training of qualified personnel.
5. Determines community needs and desires for books and other library materials related to program area of responsibility. Allocates resources accordingly.
6. Selects books, periodicals, and audiovisual materials to meet program goals.
7. Monitors program budgets.
8. Leads collection development team in the process of acquiring and delivering library materials and services.
9. Meets with vendors and sales representatives. Selects vendors based on ability to meet library needs.
10. Conducts reference interviews to determine customer information needs and optimal level of assistance required to meet that need.
11. Provides reference services, research assistance, and reader’s advisory to the public in-person and on the telephone using the library automation system, print materials, and the Internet and other online services.
12. Instructs the public, students, teachers and others in the use of Internet, print and electronic resources, computers and peripherals, and microform equipment.
13. Researches information requests from the public, city departments, and outside organizations. Provides documents, statistics, referrals, and other resources in filling these requests.
14. Writes policies and procedures related to area of responsibility.
15. Develops programs to promote reading and library use.
16. Stays abreast of changes and trends in the field by reading professional literature, attending conferences and workshops.
17. Performs administrative duties to include compiling statistics on activities and trends, preparing schedules, time sheets and leave forms and purchasing supplies.
18. Prepares project status reports, financial reports, and budget reports to keep management informed of program operations.
19. Develops partnerships with the community and markets library to the community.
20. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree with a major in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA accredited program of study (education will be verified using the "Education Requirements" listed below) and three (3) years of experience working as a Librarian include one (1) year of managing a library program is required, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
A current and valid Florida driver’s license is required. For application purposes, a valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within thirty (30) days from date of employment.
Education Requirements: To be considered valid (or verified) for position qualification purposes, and consistent with City Hiring Policy 4-5, a High School, GED or equivalent diploma, and all higher education degrees or certifications must have been issued by:
a public education institution in the State of Florida or any State or Territory of the United States; or
an institution accredited by an accrediting organization that is recognized by the Florida Department of Education or the U.S. Department of Education; or
an institution that is accredited by an organization that is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
an institution whose degree or certification is accepted by institutions identified in either a), b), or c), above, for the purpose of admission to institutions identified in either a), b), or c) above.
International degrees will be evaluated to determine if they satisfy qualification requirements.
Please apply online at: Job Opportunities | West Palm Beach, FL (wpb.org)