Website Lee County Library System
The Lee County Library System is seeking a self-motivated, reliable, and welcoming branch manager for the Captiva Memorial Library located on Captiva Island. In addition to managing operations of the 3469 sq ft community branch and supervising one full-time Library Associate, the successful candidate will float to various branches throughout the library system, as assigned.
The Captiva Memorial Library operates with seasonal service hours. In season (December 1-April 30) the branch is open Monday – Friday. Out of season (May 1 – November 1) the branch is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with the branch manager floating on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The branch is not currently open on Saturdays, but that may change in the future as community needs emerge. Additionally, branch service hours may be adjusted to coincide with events sponsored by the Captiva Civic Association.
The ideal candidate will thrive on the unique rhythm of an island library and welcome the opportunity to experience the diversity of the Lee County Library System by floating.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise staff and volunteers and coordinate workflow for effective service delivery.
- Use considerable independent judgment, initiative, and established policies and procedures to ensure a competent staff and high-quality service to internal and external customers.
- Manage collection maintenance and promotion of the branch collections through selection, weeding, and displays.
- Participate in branch-specific and system-wide committees as assigned.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Promote teamwork and cooperation through productive interactions with colleagues at other branches, Library Administration, and Library Processing.
- Work effectively with the Library Friends group and cultivate relationships with other community groups.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science, or a closely related field from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Two years of library or a closely related experience.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- A Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Two years of progressively responsible experience as a professional librarian.
- One year of public library experience.
- Any combination of experience and education equivalent to one year of supervising paid staff or formal training and coursework in management or Leadership (e.g. Lee County Leadership Academy, Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute, or equivalent).
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience and the ability to work independently is preferred.
- Ability to learn and adopt new and emerging technologies is preferred.
- Ability to engage community partners in the promotion of library programs is preferred.
- Must have knowledge of current professional public library principles, methods, and practices, relevant computer applications, and literature for various ages, and have the ability to supervise and direct the work of others.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit, and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate various equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices, and automation equipment.
The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
This position is 80 hours bi-weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays, and some Sundays.