Website Hialeah Public Libraries
About Hialeah Public Libraries:
The Hialeah Public Libraries (HPL) is a medium library system serving over 220,000 residents in the City of Hialeah, a major city within the Southeast Florida metropolitan area and the sixth largest in the State of Florida. HPL provides a wide array of services, programs, materials, and resources through the John F. Kennedy Memorial (main) Library and five branches. The libraries have a strong community focus, comprehensive collections in multiple formats, and a variety of programming for all ages. Library patrons have access to more than 150,000 books and audiovisual materials, over 200,000 eBooks and digital audiobooks, and valuable digital learning resources. The six library facilities provide access to free Wi-Fi connections, over 190 networked computers, 25 laptops, 100 Chromebooks and 100 mobile Wi-Fi hotspots as part of a lending program.
The City of Hialeah has one of the largest Spanish-speaking communities in the country. As of the 2022 Census, 95.7 % of the population is of Hispanic origin, 75.2% of Hialeah residents are foreign born persons, and 93.5 % speak Spanish as their primary language at home.
The Library collections, services, and programs are tailored to support the Library’s mission and meet the needs of its community. The Library offers comprehensive collections in English and Spanish, resources for new Americans, and bilingual programs for all ages.
Examples of duties and responsibilities:
Candidates must be able to apply professional library principles and practices to various areas of library operations, in particular Youth Services and Programs. Duties and responsibilities include providing reference services and readers’ advisory, assisting the public in the use of information resources and technology, participating in collection development, working collaboratively in the planning, implementation and promotion of library programs and projects, and continuous familiarization with the library’s collection, professional trends and patrons’ needs.
Supervision may be exercised over clerical and para-professional staff, including planning, assigning and reviewing work, as well as helping enforce library and City policies. Supervision is received from a higher level Librarian who assigns duties, reviews and evaluates work for satisfactory performance. This position requires some regularly scheduled evening and weekend hours.
· ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
· Knowledge of professional library principles and practices.
· Knowledge of current library technologies, resources and trends.
· Knowledge of library reference materials and research tools.
· Ability to perform effectively providing reference, reader’s advisory, and other professional library services, including planning and conducting library programs.
· Strong service philosophy.
· Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse, multicultural environment, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with library patrons, employees and supervisors
· Strong project management skills.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Ability to delegate and supervise subordinates in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to maintain statistical, fiscal and administrative records.
Bilingual (English / Spanish) skills are desired for this position.
The City of Hialeah is an equal opportunity employer and offers health, dental, vision, and disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, among other fringe benefits.
Please email your resume to email@example.com.