Website City of Clearwater
THE CITY OF CLEARWATER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Under general supervision, the Library Assistant performs para-professional library services. Assists patrons with various library inquiries, supports the development and implementation of library programs and services, and performs a wide range of circulation duties.
POSITION OPEN CONTINUOUSLY – WILL FILL AS NEEDED
REQUIRES SOME NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Checks in and checks out various materials and patron holds; monitors, inspects, and evaluates all materials for any wear, damage, or defect.
- Assists and supports patrons inside the library and responds to inquiries and questions; explains policies and rules, instructs patrons regarding library equipment, and assists with library technology and systems; registers new patrons with cards and monitors their statistical classes.
- Collects, manages, and handles fines and fees; processes the cash box, self-check machine funds, receipts, and cash transactions; writes deposits and handles donations and monies for the friends of the Clearwater library bookstore.
- Performs various general reference tasks; assists with book look ups, hold requests, and other tasks; maintains and monitors the hold shelf, triggers, and stickers.
- Manages paper supplies and other library materials; ensures all necessary library documents, writing utensils and other supplies are fully stocked; manages lost and found items, and damaged or incomplete materials.
- Retrieves and organizes library materials from the outside book drop; sorts library materials and processes; receives and records deliveries coming in and going out of the library; keeps appropriate records and documents.
- Researches, plans, develops, and implements various library programs and other library initiatives under the direction of a supervisor.
- Compiles, packs, and organizes bags of library materials going to other libraries; ensures the appropriate materials, labels, and processing.
- Participates and assists in both opening and closing procedures; monitors and cares for equipment and machines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Daily library routines and shelving techniques and practices
- Dewey Decimal system
- Customer Service and skills
- Cash handling and process
- General library policies and procedures; computers and general office equipment
- Equipment maintenance practices and methods
- Customer service principles
- Following oral and written instructions
- Accurately filing and shelving library materials both alphabetically and numerically
- Handling cash, collecting fees and fines, creating deposits, and keeping accurate accounting
- Responding and engaging with library patrons and the community
- Lifting and transporting various heavy loads of library materials and pushing book carts
- Operating a computer, related software, and various library systems
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment:
- A valid State driver's license is required.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, High School Equivalency Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate AND two (2) years of customer service experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
Fill out online application and upload resume here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/clearwaterfl/jobs/3756262/library-assistant-part-time