This paraprofessional position involves responsibility for performing technical library tasks approaching a professional level through the application of skills and knowledge acquired by special study and training. An employee in this category exercises considerable judgment and discretion in performing advanced library duties. Employee may be responsible for coordinating or assisting with library programming. Continuous public contact requires the exercise of considerable patience, tact and diplomacy. Work is performed under supervision of a department head and is reviewed through conference, personal observation of performance, and inspection of work by the department head.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or GED required and TWO (2) years library experience, one of which must be in the area assigned. Bachelor’s degree desirable. Computer experience is required.
Must be able to stand/walk during shift for approximately 3 hours, as well as easily lift 10 pounds and push/pull book/equipment cart.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Ability to work flexible schedule, including nights and Saturdays
· Ability to deal with various duties simultaneously.
· Some knowledge of reader interests and of books and authors.
· Ability to establish and maintain successful relationships with employees, volunteers, and patrons.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to sort and file alphabetically and numerically.
· Skill in the use of personal computers and standard office equipment.
· Ability to effectively search on-line catalogs and other databases.
· Familiarity with current library technology.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, volunteers and patrons.
· Ability to evaluate information retrieved.
Physical address where the job position is located.