The Hialeah Public Libraries proudly serve over 236,000 residents of the City of Hialeah, a major city within the South Florida metropolitan area and the fifth largest in the State of Florida, providing a wide array of services, programs, and resources through our John F. Kennedy Memorial (main) Library and five small branches. The libraries have a strong community focus, a wide variety of programming, and a broad selection of relevant materials in multiple formats. The City of Hialeah has one of the largest Spanish-speaking communities in the country. As of the 2010 Census, 74 % of Hialeah residents are foreign-born persons, mostly Hispanic or Latino, and 93.6 % speak Spanish as their primary language at home. In order to support the Library's mission and meet the needs of our community, the collections, programs, and services are tailored to serve this unique population. The Library offers bilingual programs for all ages and comprehensive collections in English and Spanish.
Candidates must be able to apply professional library principles and practices to various areas of library operations. Duties and responsibilities include providing reference services and readers’ advisory, assisting the public in the use of information resources and technology, participating in collection development, and working collaboratively in the planning, implementation, and promotion of library programs and projects. Supervision may be exercised over para-professional staff. Reports to a higher level librarian who assigns duties and evaluates work for satisfactory performance. This position requires some regularly schedules evening and weekend hours.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
· Knowledge of professional library principles and practices.
· Knowledge of current library technologies, resources and trends.
· Knowledge of library reference materials and research tools.
· Strong service philosophy.
· Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse, multicultural environment, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with library patrons, employees and supervisors
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Ability to delegate and supervise subordinates in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to maintain fiscal and administrative records.
Multilingual skills are desired for this position.
The City of Hialeah is an equal opportunity employer and offers health, dental, vision and disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, among other fringe benefits.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org