Department: Library – Access Services
Position Number: 000552
Position Title: Library Assistant
Immediate Supervisor/Title: Reference, Instruction and Access Services Librarian
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
1) Maintain knowledge of Access Services policies, procedures, and be able to communicate and interpret these policies and procedures to library patrons, community visitors, library staff and student workscholars in a positive and proactive manner
2) Able to field initial information inquiries from library users and campus visitors and discern when to refer to a Librarian for reference assistance
3) Able to use library technological systems to check items in and out, process hold requests, course reserves, and generate Access Services reports
4) Supervise, train, coach and mentor library work scholars to nurture the development of professional skills and to assist with the daily workflow in Access Services
5) Collaborate effectively with the Circulation Supervisor in overseeing the daily operation of the Access Services Department.
6) Collaborate with library faculty to strategically deploy staff resources efficiently and effectively to accomplish shared goals
7) Assess and process interlibrary loan requests from Eckerd users and from other institutions requesting Eckerd library materials
a. Identify and obtain items requested by scanning, uploading or pulling materials from the shelves
b. Pack/unpack materials to ensure and expedite delivery at the lowest cost to the library
c. Process article purchase requests and/or work with acquisitions to purchase physical materials when necessary to ensure the collection meets user needs
d. Notify users when materials are ready for retrieval
e. Work with vendors to troubleshoot access problems and maintain currency with vendors' updated technologies and systems8) Compile and maintain accurate records and statistics on ILL use to ensure copyright compliance and to provide data to Library Collections to inform serial subscriptions
9) Identify, evaluate and stay current with emerging trends, practices and standards in resource management, usage statistics, data management, access and delivery to nurture professional growth and ensure forward-thinking and innovation in service delivery for the Eckerd user community.
10) Plan, organize and supervise work related to shelving library materials and collections maintenance, including shelving, sorting, shelf reading, vacuuming, and pick-up of materials; assists in carrying out collection de-accession and weeding projects.
11) Assure sound fiscal control and effective/efficient use of budgeted funds.
12) Perform minor machine maintenance (i.e., servicing printers, copiers, microfilm machines, etc.).
13) Liaise regularly with the Access Services Librarian to communicate any issues for resolution when they cannot be resolved.
14) Perform other related tasks requested by immediate supervisor, the Librarian on duty, or Director of Library Services.
1. During the academic term, scheduled hours will begin at 1:30 pm and end at 10:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
2. During intersession, hours required begin at 8:30 am and conclude at 5:00 pm.
3. Summer session hours will begin at 12:30 pm and end at 9:00 pm.
4. Flexibility to align schedule with the academic calendar is required.
Position Directly Supervises
1) Student Workscholars in Access Services
2) Part-time Library Assistants
1) Two years of customer service experience, preferably in library services
2) Excellent interpersonal skills and strong service orientation to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with patrons, volunteers, community partners, colleagues and supervisors
3) Strong leadership skills to inspire and foster creativity and innovation with students and staff
4) Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite software applications and database searching techniques
5) Ability to work independently, be flexible and adapt to a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruption
6) Possess sound decision making skills, good planning, analytical and organizational skills
7) Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
1) Experience with resource sharing systems, Worldshare ILL, Illiad, Rapid ILL or IDS Project
2) Experience with ExLibris' Voyager Integrated Library System
3) Previous customer service experience in an academic library setting
High School diploma required. Some college highly desirable
Physical address where the job position is located.
The Eckerd College Library invites applications for a highly motivated, collaborative, and service-oriented colleague to serve as Library Assistant. This staff position is a full-time opportunity with shared responsibilities in public services and resource sharing. For complete position description, qualification requirements and application instructions, please visit: https://eckerd.hirecentric.com
Nestled along the shores of Tampa Bay, Eckerd College, a private, undergraduate, liberal arts college in Florida, is one of 40 schools featured in Colleges That Change Lives and a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Eckerd College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and actively seeks diversity among applicants and promotes a diverse workforce. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. A reference check is required.