Job: Librarian, Young Adult
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian, Young Adult
- Number position available:
- $19.17 - $34.02/Hourly
- Job Category:
- Young Adult Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The successful Young Adult Librarian candidate is a dynamic, team-oriented individual with a strong commitment to providing excellent library services to young adults. We are looking for an individual who is imaginative, dedicated, and customer service driven. This person is one of a team who delivers day-to-day service to the public in a library located between Mariner High School and Mariner Middle School.
This position is responsible for all aspects of library services to teens. This includes programming, collection development and maintenance, and outreach. In addition to providing library services to teens, the successful candidate will also be providing reference services to patrons of all ages.
Northwest Regional Library is a busy library located in the Cape Coral community of Lee County. The library's patron base is varied and includes people of all ages and backgrounds. On school day afternoons, Northwest Regional Library attracts a large number of teens and middle-school aged youth from the neighboring schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates, plans, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage positive use of the library by teens, including but not limited to maker-based programming, crafts, gaming, Teen Advisory Group, special events, and school and community outreach.
- Presents tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Maintains a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the Young Adult collection through weeding, purchasing, and displays.
- Demonstrates a proficiency in reader's advisory to youth, especially to teens.
- Provides reference, computer, and database assistance to patrons of all ages and abilities.
- May be assigned to participate in branch specific and system-wide committees, to supervise paraprofessional and clerical library personnel and/or to be in charge of the branch for specific days or shifts.
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a Master's degree in Library Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association and one year of experience in a library or related field.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required.
- Must have the ability to bend, stretch, sit or stand for long periods of time and the ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Prefer two years related library experience.
- Prefer a strong customer service background.
- Prefer prior experience working specifically with teens.
- This person must be able to relate positively to a diverse population of all ages, including persons who speak languages other than English.
- The County may require employees to make either a temporary or long-term, permanent transfer to another Library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
- This position is 80 hours biweekly. Work days are Monday through Saturday including evenings and some Sundays.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Northwest Regional Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 519 Chiquita Blvd North
- Cape Coral
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Brenda Skiba
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at http://www.leegov.comhr/jobsearch or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 2115 Second Street, First Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. You may also fax your application to 239-485-2077. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.