Job: Assistant Department/Branch Manager
Go back to All Jobs
- Assistant Department/Branch Manager
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Perform duties to assist the department or branch manager in the implementation of library services and the supervision of staff, maintain work flow, plan and execute special projects, respond to patron requirements and perform and implement work related to the operation of the department within the assigned area of the Main Library or in assigned branch, working within the limits of established policies. Uphold the Library System’s mission and values in the pursuit of all duties; respect for the individual, our organization, and the community, excellence in everything we do, and integrity in our actions with others, while providing excellent customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Assist in overseeing department or branch operations. Substitute in any critical function in department or branch as required. Make decisions or judgments based on established guidelines in the absence of the Department Head / Branch Manager.
- Interview candidates and recommend for further consideration. Assist in identifying staff requirements for specific training. Recommend, plan and implement system wide and departmental or branch staff training programs, as directed and within applicable guidelines. Assist in training new and experienced staff in the utilization of research tools and techniques, circulation functions and policies and any other departmental or branch responsibilities.
- Assist in the preparation of performance evaluations and participate in performance evaluation interviews with employees and Department Head or Branch Manager.
- Assign, explain and review work, monitor work quality and assist to resolve operating problems. Explain, implement and enforce Library rules and regulations, interpret and clarify policy, maintain discipline, assist in handling employee concerns and maintain harmonious employee relations.
- Assist with the development, implementation and adjustment of schedules based on patron utilization, coverage requirements, staff availability and capabilities.
- Identify, document, communicate and refer issues of concern to Department Head / Branch Manager and make recommendations as to action required.
- Provide leadership in maintaining and communicating knowledge of the Library’s collection, policies and procedures, programs, events and activities, use of reference materials, including Internet and other computer resources, and changes in the Library System. Maintain familiarity with new materials acquired into the department or branch.
- Respond to patrons’ complaints, compliments or concerns regarding library service. Explain policies and procedures and determine most effective response to deal with patron requirements, documenting and referring more significant issues to Department Head / Branch Manager.
- Develop bibliographies, user guides and reference lists for use by others, and review such lists when compiled by others.
- Develop and recommend themes, select materials and set up displays to promote materials. Prepare and present special programs for patrons as required. Represent the Library at assigned functions, meetings, talks or professional activities.
- Monitor collection within assigned department or branch, perform shelving routines, and provide leadership in determining when material is to be removed and in making recommendations for acquisition or transfer of materials to maintain the balance of the collection.
- Interview patrons, document inquiries and analyze information provided to determine details of inquiry requirements. Utilize a range of reference resources to determine where information or materials will be located. Make referrals to other sources / agencies within or outside the Library System.
- Provide readers advisory services to patrons to recommend materials suitable to their interests. Give tours of department / branch, explaining arrangement of materials and Library services, resources and policies.
- Respond to telephone inquiries from patrons, or questions referred from other departments or branches, interpret requirements and contact patrons directly to clarify requirements as necessary. Prepare response and required materials for pick up and call patron or enter response to database for delivery by others.
- Determine the status of outstanding questions, distribute and assign to staff as necessary and follow to ensure that the requirements for response quality and timeliness are met. Monitor work, ensure compliance with established procedures and policies and maintain work flow.
- Track, maintain and report on any range of information or statistics as required. Document and refer significant issues to manager.
- Assist patrons with the use of equipment, monitor condition or perform routine maintenance and report the need for repair. Monitor general condition of department or branch.
Other duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Perform or assist with any system operations, under direction, to maintain work flow.
- Attend and participate in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Monitor patrons in the Library and remind them of Library policies as required to ensure that the resources of the Library are fully accessible to all patrons.
- Maintain work area in a clean and orderly condition. Ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Computer, common peripherals, microfilm and microfiche readers and printers and common office equipment.
Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree, Strong customer service and technology skills. This is a key and responsible position with accountability for the performance of your team and your location. We are looking for individuals with a passion for progress and for leading change within the organization.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Orange County Library System
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 101 E. Central Blvd
- Institution Name :
- Orange County Library System
- 101 E. Central Blvd
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Human Resources
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Visit our website at www.ocls.info to apply.