Under direction, performs professional public library work. Performs work independently according to
prescribed procedures. This position is supervisory in nature and the employee’s recommendations on
subordinate personnel decisions, including hiring and firing, carry particular weight in the decision making
EXAMPLES OF MACHINES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
General office equipment; computer; various tablets; audiovisual (AV) equipment
Works under the direct supervision of the Library Director or under supervision assigned by the Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Coordinates, develops, and monitors all aspects of Adult Services, including the collection
· development plan for adult materials as well as special collections;
· Plans, implements, and evaluates Adult Services and programs, including related information
· and media needs;
· Assists with preparation and maintenance of Adult Services budget and oversees distribution
· of funds to meet collection development goals and objectives;
· Supervises collection development activities of other staff;
· Directs, supervises, and initiates personnel actions for assigned subordinates;
· conducts performance evaluations on subordinate personnel;
· Makes recommendations on policies and procedures within assigned areas;
· Develops and makes recommendations on departmental goals and objectives;
· Analyzes and evaluates related data, creates and maintains records and reports, as required;
· Remains abreast of latest developments, equipment, techniques and procedures in library profession for delivery of information services; achieved through professional meetings, memberships, organizations and activities and reading professional journals;
· Speaks and serves as a liaison for professional organizations, civic, educational and other interested groups;
· Confers with community agencies and organizations serving adults regarding adult programs and services and with subject specialists regarding collection development.
· Arranges for the production of guides to the library's services, programs and collection.
· Assists at the Reference desk desks as needed.
Adult Services Librarian performs the following additional duties involving the management of all library services to adults; includes reference service;
· Development and maintenance of adult fiction, non-fiction, reference, periodical and AV collections;
· Planning and producing programs for adults;
· Reads and reviews new books and notes recommendations for acquisition of books and materials within assigned area;
· Orders books and materials for cataloging staff;
· Provides reference and reader's advisory service;
· Assists patrons with Online Public Catalog and reference tools;
· Writes and produces media releases, brochures, posters and displays for special programs;
· Performs other related duties as required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
Assists the City in the preparation for and aftermath of a major emergency such as a hurricane or other
storm or disaster; other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of library science and modern library objectives;
Knowledge of modern English, spelling and mathematics with the verbal ease to deal effectively with staff and the public. Extensive knowledge of reader interest levels, books, and authors for a variety of adult ages.
Ability to plan, organize and direct the activities of others; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely in verbal and written form; ability to assemble, organize and analyze data findings and report them in the context of oral or written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working, advisory and consulting relationships with clubs, community groups, public officials and professional colleagues and the general public; ability to remain at a city work shelter before, during and after a hurricane of other storm or disaster, if asked.
This is primarily sedentary work with some periods of light physical effort. Requires walking short distances; sitting for long periods of time; standing, reaching and bending; occasional lifting up to 35 pounds and occasional carrying/pushing/pulling up to 35 pounds; good finger/hand dexterity and hand/eye coordination; good eyesight, hearing and speech; driving a vehicle, as needed.
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL CLOSED BY THE CITY
IMPORTANT: The City of Eustis is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, marital status, age, national origin, citizenship, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. The City provides Veteran’s Preference per FS 295.07. When a preference-eligible applicant receives notice of a hiring decision and believes that he or she was not afforded employment preference in accordance with applicable Florida law and regulation, the applicant may file a written complaint requesting an investigation to the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Benefits and Assistance, 9500 Bay Pines Blvd., Room 214, St. Petersburg, Florida 33708. Such complaint shall be filed within 60 calendar days from the date that the notice is received by the preference-eligible applicant pursuant to Sections 120.569 and 120.57, F.S. Applicants claiming Veteran’s Preference must complete a City of Eustis application identifying themselves as an eligible veteran and submit FDVA form VP-1, VP-2, or VP-3 along with documentation, as soon as possible (contact HR for forms). The City encourages applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation to the extent provided by law. If accommodation is needed for applicant testing, please inform the City, prior to the testing date.
Applications must be received or postmarked no later than 12:00 midnight on the closing date. The City may close positions that are posted with an “Open” closing date at any time, without prior notice. While we highly recommend that applicants use our online Job Application Builder, we also have printable applications available for download at www.eustis.org. Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday. For more information, please visit Human Resources at www.eustis.org or call us at 352-483-5472. Under Fla. Law, all application materials are public record and subject to public scrutiny.
Master's Degree in Library Science or Information Studies from an ALA accredited school and a minimum of three (3) years professional public library experience; to include proven, responsible experience in collection development, and Internet Searching required. Valid Florida Driver's License with an acceptable driving record is required.
Salary Range – $38,464.80 - $58,822.50/yr (DOQ); EXCELLENT benefits (Note: Benefit information is posted on city website at www.eustis.org, or call Human Resources at 352-483-5472). Only applicants with the most job-related qualifications will be selected for interview and further consideration. Additional consideration may be given to applicants with more extensive education, training, or experience. Final candidates may be required to pass a drug test and are offered a conditional offer of employment contingent upon satisfactory results of a thorough background check including criminal history, driver’s license check, & medical exam (if applicable).
Physical address where the job position is located.
Please apply online at https://jobs.eustis.org/jobdetail.aspx?rtfid=202 (then start at step 5 below)
1. Log on to www.eustis.org
2.Click the Departments Tab (located along the top)
3. Find Human Resources in the list
4. Find the link https://jobs.eustis.org (located in the gray box).
5. At the top right-hand corner of the Employment Opportunities page, find the link that says “Job Application Login” and click where it says “Not Registered? Create an Account.”
6. You will then be asked to create your own account. Enter the following information: User Name, Password, Confirm Password, E-mail (please make sure you enter correctly), Security Question, and Security Answer. (please be sure to write down all of this in a safe place for future reference)
7. Once you have your account created, you’ll go through and build your application (MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT COMPLETELY) *once you submit application, no changes may be made
8. Once every area has a check-mark beside it (skills and resume are only optional areas)
9. Go back to the Employment Opportunities page
10. Click on the position you wish to apply for and at the bottom it will say “Apply Online for this Job.”
11. The next page you will see an acknowledgement box and below it a button that says “Apply for __________ job now.”
12. You will then receive a confirmation email to let you know that we received your application.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call 352-483-5472. Thank you!