Job: Library Director
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Director
- Number position available:
- $97,636.80 - $159,407.16 Annually
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Board of Library Trustees for the Jacksonville Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic, visionary, community-minded leader as its next Library Director. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience as an executive leader who places libraries as a high priority and stands ready to be the face of the library at all times. The candidate will demonstrate strong leadership and advocacy skills, exhibit a clear vision and commitment to community engagement, interact with elected and appointed officials, while articulating and advocating the Library’s programs and strategic direction. The candidate will provide sound fiscal management, promote proactive leadership in technology integration, and foster collaborative relationships within the Library, throughout the community and among all library constituents.
The Jacksonville Public Library is a large library system, consisting of a 300,000 sq. ft. Main Library and twenty regional, community and neighborhood branch libraries. As a lifeline to the community, the Library serves the citizens of Jacksonville with strong children’s and adult programming, educational outreach initiatives and services such as Talking Books Library for Disabled Customers, the Center for Adult Learning, an active adult literacy program. The system directly serves residents and employees of Duval County both within the Jacksonville city limits and the Beaches and Baldwin communities. The ideal candidate will have experience as a Library Director of at least a medium-sized library or have extensive managerial level experience with a broad span of control.
The Library Director leads all library services and functions for the Jacksonville Public Library system. This position reports to the Board of Library Trustees. Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Provides vision and leadership to the strategic planning and implementation process: utilizes community input, determines library services including new or modified services, determines service priorities including facilities, staffing, technology, and programs, establishes performance measures and outcomes to evaluate service delivery and oversees service delivery throughout the library system within budget constraints.
- Supports activities of Library Board including determining policy and developing and administering the library annual budget which is approximately $31,000,000.00 and consists of approximately 387 full time equivalents (out of which 293 are full time positions).
- Fosters and supports strong working relationships with the Library's support groups including Friends of the Library and Library Foundation. This includes direct fund raising. Builds and maintains partnerships with elected officials (local, state and national); local organizations; educational institutions; community leaders and library customers and advocates for the library in a variety of forums - political and community based. Works actively in professional and community associations to promote Jacksonville Public Library.
- Ensures library staffing is adequate and appropriate to meet service delivery goals and regularly interacts with staff to understand their capacity and needs. Demonstrates a personal commitment to the staff, to the Library Board and to the library by practicing the skills of exemplary leadership.
- Supervises key members of the leadership team: hires, provides direction, and evaluates performance for Deputy and Assistant Directors.
- Communicates clear direction, manages for results, and leads organizational change.
- Assigns responsibility, takes corrective action, demonstrates leadership in evaluating, developing, and motivating employees.
Shall have a master's degree from an accredited institution in library science and at least five years' experience in library administration.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Jacksonville Public Library
- Job Location:
- Northeast Florida
- 303 N. Laura Street
- Institution Name :
- City of Jacksonville, Florida
- 117 W. Duval Street
- Address 2:
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Employee Services
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Online application required. Apply at www.coj.net/jobs.