The Manager of Public Services administers the library’s public services functions, taking a broad view of the Library’s role across the community. The incumbent manages the Public Services staff, including Circulation, Reference, and programming; is responsible for planning and supervising the library’s acquisitions, collection development, and all operations; performs more difficult professional librarian duties.
The incumbent must demonstrate proficiency in current and emerging technologies and all modes of reference, library instruction, outreach, and collection development. Cultivates and sustains effective working relationships with community, patrons and staff providing innovative and high quality services. Maintains a high quality workflow when performing the multifaceted work in administering the entire Public Services program.
The position is distinguished by the level of responsibility assumed, the complexity of the duties assigned, and the specialized knowledge of the principles, concepts, and work practices of librarianship required. The incumbent motivates staff to excel and to anticipate change, keeping abreast of the information landscape and coordinating the division’s services and operations.
This position acts as the library’s representative in the community, in the state, and with vendors. Evenings and weekends as duties require.
- Consults with the Director on a variety of policy and administrative issues.
- Recommends the appointment of personnel; trains and supervises employees; evaluates employee performance; works with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends and implements disciplinary procedures as required. Plans and provides staff training for professional, paraprofessional, and clerical staff.
- Assists Director in preparation of the budget; makes recommendations for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; manages applicable areas of the approved budget.
- Communicates with Director and Senior Management Team regarding the operations in the Public Services department and prepares regular narrative and statistical reports. Attends and is a member of the Senior Management team.
- Recommends goals and objectives to ensure that library services, programs, and collections are relevant to the community served.
- Manages educational programming development and scheduling.
- Manages all Librarians’ participation in information services and user support as team members for reference for the Maitland Public Library.
- Manages, supervises, and participates in all collection development areas of print and non-print materials.
- Consulted in order to resolve difficult patrons’ inquiries and complaints.
- Handles public relations and publicity, assigning responsibility as necessary.
- Participates in review, evaluation, and purchase of electronic and on-line services and technologies.
- Makes presentations to community groups and agencies to further awareness of the library and its services.
- Involved at the state professional level. Attends professional library conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature.
- Cooperates as a team member with library staff in performing essential library duties and participates in library special projects as needed or requested by Director.
- Recruits and supervises adult volunteers.
Physical address where the job position is located.