Data Services Librarian
The University of Miami Libraries seeks applications for a Data Services Librarian. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Digital Strategies and working within a growing digital strategies team, the Data Services Librarian, a newly defined position in the UM Libraries, will play a central role in the development and provision of Library services for access, use, manipulation, and management of qualitative and quantitative datasets. The Data Services Librarian will work closely with liaison librarians, the GIS Services Librarian, Digital Humanities Librarian, and others to build a strong data services program. The UM Libraries are in the midst of developing a Learning Commons, and this position, along with the GIS Services Librarian, will play a critical role in defining and implementing models for data services.
UNIVERSITY: The University of Miami is one of the nation’s leading research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and international vitality. The University is privately supported, non‐sectarian institution, located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260‐acre subtropical campus. The University comprises 11 degree granting schools and colleges, including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Marine and Atmospheric Science (www.miami.edu).
THE LIBRARY: The University of Miami Libraries (library.miami.edu) rank among the top research libraries in North America with a collection of 3.6 million volumes including 877,000 ebooks, and 92,958 current serials titles including 90,550 electronic journals. The Otto G. Richter Library lies in the center of the Coral Gables campus and serves as the central library for the University. Other University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library, the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, the Marta & Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. The University also has independent medical and law libraries. The Libraries provide support and services for approximately 10,768 undergraduates, 5,725 graduate students, and 14,604 full and part time faculty and staff. Excluding the independent libraries, the University Libraries employ 62 professional and 74 support staff and are a member of ARL, CNI, ASERL, CLIR, NERL, OCLC Research Library Partners, SEFLIN, IFLA, IATUL, HathiTrust, APTrust, DPN, DataCite, and Lyrasis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree, or, a Master’s or higher degree in a data-intensive discipline.
● Demonstrable experience working with numeric data in an academic or research setting.
● Knowledge of free and licensed sources for numeric datasets.
● Proven experience in the use of major statistical/analysis packages (such as SAS, R, STATA, and SPSS).
● Familiarity with issues related to qualitative data collection and analysis, including software packages such as NVivo or AtlasTI.
● Familiarity with principles of data documentation and metadata in an academic or research context.
● Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library service and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population.
● Good listener, superb people skills, and a strong team orientation.
● One year of relevant data services experience in an academic, scientific, or corporate setting.
● Advanced degree in a data intensive research field.
● Experience with one or more commonly used data repository platforms.
● Experience working in an academic library environment.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. Send nominations and applications to:
Human Resources Manager
University of Miami Libraries
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL 33124-0320
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.